I have completely replaced my config with the slice from Bruno Rocha for
ubuntu 12.04 (I upgraded everything).

It still won't work because import gluon.main fails.  There is clearly a
path problem but I am clueless.  Everything is in the same place before I
upgraded to web2py 2.2.3 and now it won't work.  I assume Bruno's script is
clean. I only changed to use my directory names.

Here is the offending line from the uwsgi log:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/web2py/wsgihandler.py", line 33, in <module>
    import gluon.main

Of course, beyond this point nothing can work.

Is there some alternative to uwsgi?  For what should be a proxy only, it
has such vast api surface area that it is simply too fragile to setup
reliably.  Does it need 5 different syntaxes for config files?  etc.  But,
we use it in a very narrow way for web2py.  It has worked for me and for
others.  It is just pretty much impossible to diagnose failure.

I'd rather be coding not config'ing.