I just guess, perhaps that would pollute the sys.path. Imagine this
case, app_one and app_two both have a homebred module named "modules/
mylib.py", you can not know which one is actually called when using
just "import mylib".

Searching from this maillist, I found some post relevant to this topic
like this. Don't know whether that helper is finally accepted. Massimo
might have something to say.
http://groups.google.com/group/web2py/browse_frm/thread/f9e117f081cfab24/