Riccardo,

some answers:

 - i "backup" the source code of my app by using HG or GIT.
 - google offers data backup via google cloud storage.  you can see options
for this in the google app engine web admin console
 - yes it is possible to download GAE data.  you'll have to download
database data into a CSV file and then do an import into your other
system.  google has instructions for bulk export/import of data.
 - if you use the GAE blobstore for large images, copying all that data out
is a little harder, but is doable.  i've done it for small projects.
 - yes, to change any code you have to re-deploy your app to GAE.  using
the GAE SDK you can view changes locally in real time (no reload
required).  this kind of thing is good development practice in general
(having a test environment and a production environment)
 - yes you can do queries like the one you mention above.  there are
restrictions for more complex queries.  you can read the google docs for
this. (or post most specific questions when you hit a roadblock)
 - no the web2py web admin interface is not available.  logs are provided
buy the GAE web console.

For what it's worth, i love GAE.  i'm running several apps, one of them
gets over 2.5 million HTTP requests a day and works really well.  there is
some differences between GAE and "traditional" hosting, but once you learn
the rules it's a fun playground to play on.

good luck!

christian