Solved:  It was a dumb mistake.. I was trying to group by a field in the
left join table.. so of course it was eliminating all records not found in
the second table.  I switched the group by to a first table field and all
is well.

Final working query was:

foo = db(db.benchmark_targets.benchmark ==
for_benchmark.id).select(db.benchmark_targets.ALL, db.lobby_report.ALL,
left=db.lobby_report.on(db.lobby_report.KPID == db.benchmark_targets.KPID),
orderby=~db.lobby_report.datetime, groupby=db.benchmark_targets.KPID)

Hours in front of a screen stumped me, but I go for a drive and the
solution occurs to me instantly.