Field label and representation are two different things...

A label is only displayed next to the field in generated forms. A visual
aid, so to speak... Regardless of the label, the field itself would still
be named "id", it's format or representation would stay the same. François
simply wants the field label to be displayed as "Service Code" instead of
"Id", which would be a default label.

I must say I never tried changing the label if an id. Off the top of my
head, I can't think of a reason why it shouldn't be possible, so, yes,
probably a bug.

Regards,
Ales