to learn about the fcgi processes you should read up on how apache handles
multiple requests.  there are a few different modes and settings for apache
that control when and how many threads/processes apache will start.

the short summary: in order to handle multiple requests at the same time
apache starts multiple process or threads depending on your configuration.

cfh