the "snarky"/mean person  in me says "If you have sendmail installed you
can use it by using the server with --enable_sendmail"

i've failed at getting sendmail setup.  i find it's much easier to add the
switch to the GAE SDK that prints the email contents in the log (i don't
remember that switch off the top of my head) then to try and get sendmail
setup.

cfh