I use the latest web2py(2.3.2).

Let us say the modules folder in my application has a file called utility.py

I try the following in controller

import utility

this issues a ticket saying

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<controller name.py>", line 1, in <module>
  File "<path to web2py>web2py/gluon/custom_import.py", line 73, in
custom_importer
    modules_prefix, globals, locals, [itemname], level)
ImportError: No module named <app name>.modules

http://about.me/srinathgs
I write code @ Alamut
Srinath G S