I found the answer....

Ruben
Orduz<http://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=web2py@googlegroups.com&q=from:%22Ruben+Orduz%22>
 Mon, 19 Mar 2012 07:49:41
-0700<http://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=web2py@googlegroups.com&q=date:20120319>

You have to re-start the web2py server NOT from the tk GUI (start/stop)
server buttons but you have to close that GUI app and re-start web2py.exe.
 It worked for me after that. So a full restart will re-parse the top level
routes.py routes.  This may be the same on UNIX but I never used the tk GUI
for web2py so I did not see this until I used Windows.