On Friday, 22 February 2013 14:23:23 UTC+11, Massimo Di Pierro wrote:

> Can you explain it again?
>
> On Thursday, 21 February 2013 06:52:33 UTC-6, Tim Richardson wrote:
>>
>> Actually,
>> the file name works fine when using the name of the field at least in a
>> string context.
>>

>> In struggling to understand how to get this working, I seemed to convince
myself that

form.vars.spreadsheet_upload

(defined as Field('spreadsheet_upload','upload',
                           uploadfolder=os.path.join(request.folder,
'static/uploads/'))

was behaving as an object when I thought it should be a string. At the time
though I was experimenting a lot to also find the original filename, and I
may have got myself confused because I can't reproduce the problems I
thought I was having, and it works now.
As an aside, I have never worked before with files uploaded to a webserver,
a technology I was intimidated against trying, but web2py makes it really
easy. Thank you again.