What I'd like to consider upfront WHAT EXACTLY do you want to use the
versioning system for. If you want to cover all usage scenarios, you
will end up writing a web front-end for versioning systems (that just
happens to be used for a web2py application), which might be not what
youre shooting for (no small task).

Just out of curiosity, have you looked at
https://code.launchpad.net/~achipa/web2py/versioncontrol
? It's a bit broader approach, still rough around the edges, but does
work for the most common workflow use cases. Don't let the default
subversion module fool you, this is fully modular, you can plugin
whatever VCS you want.  It has been talked about a few times on the
list.