As I mentioned, I am restarting the server with every change to routes.py.
I tried using:

routers = dict(

    # base router
    BASE=dict(
        default_application='myapp',
    ),
)

But this still does not solve my problem.  I need *every *page to hide the
app name and controller, not just the default index page.  Right now I am
just trying to get this working in an empty project, so my default
controller looks like:

def index():
    return dict()

def contactus():
    return dict()

and the two corresponding views are just using {{extend 'layout.html'}} and
then left empty at the moment.

Using this and the above routes.py example, I can go to 127.0.0.1.8000 on
my local server and I will see the index page without having to add
/myapp/default/index to the url.  So it looks like the routes.py is doing
something right, however if I try 127.0.0.1:8000/contactus I get an invalid
request.  Using 127.0.0.1:8000/myapp/default/contactus works fine, but I
don't want the app and controller in the url.

Hope my explanation of the problem is clear.

Thanks