Sorry if that didn't make sense, let me try again.

I have small ( < 100 kb) audio files that I am getting on the fly via the
gluon.tools.fetch method from a third party API. I want to insert them into
the uploads folder and create entries for them in the database (as if they
were data uploaded by users). I have been doing this via the store() method
and have had no problems during development.  On GAE, however, this is not
working.  Specifically, it is throwing a runtime error "you must specify a
Field(...,uploadfolder=...)".  My questions are as follows:

1) When using the store() method on GAE, what should the 'path' argument be?

2) Since this problem appears when using the store() method to save uploads
to the database on GAE, but not when uploading files using SQLform, it
seems to be a glitch.  Is this the case, or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks again for the help.

On Saturday, March 2, 2013 10:15:12 AM UTC+8, Massimo Di Pierro wrote:

> What do you mean?
>
> On Friday, 1 March 2013 09:54:22 UTC-6, montgome...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> I just discovered that the insert works with the SQLform, but not
>> manually.  Any idea why that would be?
>>
>> On Friday, March 1, 2013 12:35:08 PM UTC+8, montgome...@gmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>> So my app is getting some small audio files via the gluon.tools fetch
>>> method, and then storing them manually in the upload folder via the store()
>>> method. While this works fine on a local server, it doesn't seem to work on
>>> GAE.  It's throwing a runtime error: "you must specify a
>>> Field(...,uploadfolder=...)".  Looking at the DAL gluon, this seems to
>>> imply that there is no path specified for the upload folder, even though
>>> that should be a default argument for Field() regardless of backend.
>>> Anyone have any ideas why?
>>>
>>> Here is the code:
>>>
>>> audio_file = StringIO.StringIO(fetch(audio_url))
>>> self.classcont_id = current.db.classcont.insert(...., quest_audio =
>>> current.db.classcont.quest_audio.store(audio_file, self.audio_name) ,....)