What kind of error message are you getting?

I assume the request.vars['lesson'] and request.vars.answer are both
indices into their respective tables. However, request.vars will be holding
these values as strings. Without knowing more, I would suggest putting an
int() around those two vars, as in:

answer = db.answer[int(request.vars.answer)]

and then do your test:

if 'y' in answer.is_correct:
    # do something
else: