just to clear out doubts.....
a field 'reference sometable' gets:
 - a foreign key to the id of sometable
 - a validator that by default builds up on the format argument of sometable

you CAN'T have a foreign key to a table and have the requires parameter
with is_in_db() building a string value.
So, if you want the 'origin' field to store the integer that is a pointer
to the countries.id table, while retaining the country_name while
representing it in the dropdown, you should do

db.define_table('countries',
   Field('country_name'),
   format='%(country_name)s'
)
db.define_table('testing',
    Field('origin','reference countries')

)

or

db.define_table('countries',
   Field('country_name'),
)
db.define_table('testing',
    Field('origin','reference countries',requires=IS_IN_DB(
db,'countries.id', '%(country_name)s',error_message='Choose origin country'
))
)

if you want testing.origin to be a string holding country names (so, not a
reference), with the dropdown showing  the countries you have in the
countries table

db.define_table('countries',
   Field('country_name'),
)
db.define_table('testing',
    Field('origin',requires=IS_IN_DB(
db,'countries.country_name',error_message='Choose origin country'))
)

tl;dr your "mix and match" doesn't specify what you want. Field type
"trumps" the requires parameter on a database level.