> I think I kinda figured out the problem. The order of defining tables
> seems matter. Tables to be referenced need to be defined before the
> referencing tables. Guess it's a rookie mistake.

I don't think it's a matter of table definition order. Maybe there aren't
any referenced records in the table so the dropdown widget is not created.

About the modified_on created_on, web2py has some features that create
tables under the hood, i.e., for record versioning. Perhaps you want to
disable them at the model by changing the feature options (they are
documented in the book)