I'd also add that it's debatable whether using gunicorn's 'jsonify' is any
better than json.dumps(). They had to add a shim in to make jsonify work.
jsonify adds the correct header for json, whereas json.dumps doesn't. I'd
expect the database performance to take a hit in this setup because of
their shim, but not by much.