i've already start testing using the simple table (start from scratch) but
got the same result. here is my conclusion, please correct me if i'm wrong :
- if you combine list:string field with IS_IN_SET validator, in form edit
you will receive blank value in drop down, not the existing value that
stored in database.
- if you want to use IS_IN_SET validator and in form edit will show the
existing value that store in database, please use string type field in your
define table.

*e.g. in form edit receive blank value in drop down field, not the existing
value that stored in database*
*db.py*
db.define_table('gender',
    Field('gender', 'list:string'),
    format='%(gender)s')

db.gender.gender.requires=IS_IN_SET(['Male', 'Female'])

*default.py*
def gender():
    grid=SQLFORM.grid(db.gender, user_signature=False)
    return locals()

*default/gender.html*
{{extend 'layout.html'}}

{{=grid}}

*e.g. in form edit will show the existing value that store in database*
*db.py*
db.define_table('gender',
    Field('gender'),