BigTable is among the so-called column-oriented databases:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Column-oriented_DBMS

Check out:

http://www.hypertable.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BigTable
Cassandra:
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CSDR/Index<http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CSDR/Index>

And this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Document-oriented_database

http://couchdb.apache.org/docs/intro.html
http://labs.mudynamics.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/icouch.html

Is there anyone who can summarize the strengths of the various 3 types?

The first two are obvious in some way to me:  pervasive (current) existence
of SQL DBs, and need to manipulate existing data, ability to in small to
medium (and large???) scale take advantage of open-source SQL servers;

BigTable - the increasing presence of Google as a desktop computer
replacement - mail, documents, blogs, now application serving --- it's the
big, open (in terms of data)  "database"...   Not clear what the
implications / advantages (disadvantages) of using open-source (e.g. your
own data pool) solutions would be here.