Well, a change was just made in trunk to allow '%(tablename.fieldname)s'
notation, but it looks like the query retains only the fields in the main
table (db.productSite in this case) anyway, so I guess that won't help. So
instead, maybe:

lambda r: db(db.product.productId == r.productId).select().first().
productName

Anthony