In your other examples, one or more fields are passed to the .select(), so
the DAL has a way to know which table is being queried. When you pass only
a string as the query and no fields to .select(), the DAL has no way to
know which table is involved (it does not inspect string queries -- it just
inserts them into the SQL as is).

Anthony