this is an excerpt from the book

Because of the way grid works one can only have one grid per controller
function, unless they are embedded as components via LOAD. To make the
default search grid work in more than one LOADed grid, please use a
different formname for each one.

So, 2 steps required:
1. in the page that shows the grids has to have 2 different LOAD(), each
one pointing to a single grid
2. use SQLFORM.grid(........, formname='grid1') for one and
SQLFORM.grid(........, formname='grid2') for the other