Massimo, the problem is when main.py tries to read VERSION info.

I just made a test and I could not see VERSION listed in in
site-packages/web2py-2.1.1-py2.7.egg-info/installed-files.txt

Besides that, settings.py tries to get web2py_path environment
variable, but it's not set in a default, just created, virtualenv.

Another point is the available version in pypi: 2.1.1.

As I don't have enough knowledge as how to package web2py to pypi,
this is what I could identifiy.