I'm using a compute field to set uid's for model instances. The problem is
that the compute function gets called on INSERT and on each subsequent
UPDATE operation.

I don't want the UPDATE's to change this field - can I somehow detect where
there's an INSERT or an UPDATE in progress? I thought about checking the
field's previous value, but unfortunately compute fields are excluded.