> they don't build up magically by default (though the cascade parameter
>> allows the same flexibility as the one present in your backend) but given
>> that all the six "important" events are available and fired accordingly,
>> you can hook up whatever business logic you like.
>>

> That answer is too vague for me... Can you elaborate?
> What cascade-parameter? What do you mean by "your backend"? What "six
> important" event?

See "ondelete"
here<http://web2py.com/books/default/chapter/29/06#Record-representation>,
as well as the section on
callbacks<http://web2py.com/books/default/chapter/29/06#before-and-after-callbacks>
.

>   SQLA's ORM-class-instances are reused across requests.
>   Web2py's DAL instances are not.
> If I wanted to emulate a SQLA-ORM in web2py, I would have to put it all in
> custom-modules, that would persist class-instances in memory, and do a lot
> of these invalidation/dirty-chacking stuff myself. I think a way around
> this might be to keep the DAL-layer separate, in that instances of
> ORM-classes may persist in memory across requests in a custom module that
> is not reloaded, but that they would be dynamically re-linked to DAL
> instances that would still be re-generated for each request by executing
> the models as usual.

Not quite sure what you mean here. Are you saying in SA, you would keep a
database transaction open across multiple HTTP requests? Can you show an
example of SA code that would be inconsistent with web2py's execution model?

Anthony