@all: correct me if I'm wrong... web2py shouldn't complain at all if your
underlying model returns a "bigint" instead of a "int" because python code
in DAL won't go have "out of range" issues (they're all stored as 'long', I
think).
What "bigint_id" does is "instructing" the database to create a column able
to hold bigint values.
What is **probably** missing is:
- turning bigint on just for a few tables
- migrating from int to bigint

On the latter I don't know if it's a "forgotten corner-case" of the code or
rather a choice to not do it....
I think a point for "choosing not to do it" (such as not migrating a column
from null=False to null=True) can be very well that migrations on large
tables (given that you want to switch to bigint table can indeed very
large) should always be done outside web2py (what if the migration takes
more than n seconds, being n your timeout ? Mysql would break an complain
in some cases, etc etc etc).