Is there already built in web2py, or are there any examples of a web2py
internal mail system such as in LinkedIn or Facebook, where users send
messages to each other?

For example, in LinkedIn or Facebook, you can send a private email to
someone using LI's or FB's proprietary system, which then alerts recipients
through their regular email system.

If there is no already existing system, then I guess I would just create a
mail database that gets populated with text. Any good ideas such as using
already-existing w2p features welcome.

Thanks,

Alex Glaros