On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 9:04 AM, Timmie <timmichel...@gmx-topmail.de> wrote:

> Hello,
> I think we are talking of the same ideas:

I think so... great!

> > I don't know who you have with push permissions, but I think we should
> work
> > out the docstring format we want to have, get agreement
> There is a clear standard: python docstring standard as in PEP257. The
> numpy standard extends this. See an example here:
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/generated/numpy.arctan.html

I had seen (but haven't really studied) PEP257;

WOW - did I have to dig to find the docstring source for that arctan module;
 it looks like it's just docsting - the extensions (I suspect) have to do
with this being in a file of just docstrings for generated functions.

Anyway, it is a good example - so I'll post the source here (from numpy:
core/code_generators/ufunc_docstrings.py).
I think this is a good starting template for function definitions, that is
these headings (I've reordered them):

   - Parameters
   - Returns
   - Notes