>  You say your app users were logged in but after a given time the
> _load_settings function stopped working (stopped storing data)?

 The _load_settings() function is only called once, right after the user
logs in using auth.settings.login_onaccept.append(). The idea was to store
certain rarely changed settings in the session to avoid making any
unnecessary database calls later on.

Have you made an upgrade that would have changed the behavior introducing
> unreported backward compatibility issues?. Maybe you can debug the function
> to log user activity and check if the appended function is actually being
> executed.

In every recent web2py version I've tested (including the current trunk)
the _load_settings() function is being called after the user logs in and
the vars are being created. I can see that by looking at the session vars
after a login.

> BTW: recently there was a request for changing the syntax for storing
> session files IIRC because of imcompatibilities with some special clients.

There may be something going on with certain clients, I'm not sure. Like I
said... this only seems to happen intermittently. The user remains logged
in, but the session vars that were created via _load_settings() are missing
but all the auth vars the framework creates remain. I'm assuming, possibly
incorrectly, that the auth vars are only created once at the beginning of
the session.