Among RDBMSs, I personally prefer Postgres too, for many of the reasons
mentioned - quality of build and add-ons, platform availability, SQL
compliance, optional commercial support, Oracle compatibility.

But another factor to consider is deployment on IaaS/PaaS options. Heroku
and OpenShift can provision Postgres and MySQL; Google App Engine and
PythonAnywhere only provide MySQL.

PythonAnywhere is a terrific option; I'm a bit surprised they don't offer
Postgres. Maybe someone with influence on the PythonAnywhere folks can give
them a nudge? Could push many projects their way.