never run the scheduler with sqlite database, if you're planning to launch
multiple schedulers. SQLite and concurrency don't go along very well.
If your app accesses the postgresql database it should be able to connect
as well from the scheduler, it's true, but evidently something is different
between your "web" environment and your "scheduler" one.
PS: can you start the scheduler with web2py.py -K appname -D 0 ?
-D 0 enables DEBUG logs and we maybe able to see the "something" that is
not working.
If you can't come up with a solution, I'm available to do some debugging,
send me a PM.

On Sunday, June 16, 2013 9:08:33 AM UTC+2, Joe Barnhart wrote:

> Good points.
>
> But since I'm running the same application in the web server, and it can
> see and read/write the PostgreSQL database from the web process, does that
> imply that the scheduler process (which uses all the same files) can see
> the database as well?  If there is nu such assumption, how would I go about
> proving access from the scheduler process?
>
> As an aside, I tried running the scheduler as root and as www-data (the
> owner and group of all the web2py files).  They both resulted in the same
> errors.  I was thinking about changing the scheduler to run its tables in
> SQLite and keep the application in PostgreSQL.  Would that be tempting the
> fates to throw down more anguish on me?
>
> -- Joe
>
> On Saturday, June 15, 2013 9:56:37 PM UTC+8, Niphlod wrote:
>>
>> scheduler and whatever you choose to run your "web part" are totally
>> unrelated. It's meant to be as a separate process, and can totally run on
>> its own. What you need to check is that the scheduler instance can connect
>> to the database (if this was a result of permission problems on the file,
>> the breakage should have happened before those logs, e.g. reading the
>> source file of web2py.py).
>>
>> On Saturday, June 15, 2013 4:20:14 AM UTC+2, Joe Barnhart wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm trying to set up a test server that's close to the production server
>>> I'm going to have.  I have a VM with web2py and nginx/uwsgi installed on
>>> Debian.  The database is Postgres which runs on the host of the VM and
>>> talks thru a "host only" network adapter, also on Linux.
>>>
>>> It all seems to work -- web2py can see and use the Postgres database, I
>>> can serve pages thru nginx and uwsgi.  But when I start the scheduler all
>>> hell breaks loose.
>>>

>>> web2py Web Framework
>>> Created by Massimo Di Pierro, Copyright 2007-2013
>>> Version 2.5.1-stable+timestamp.2013.06.06.15.39.19
>>> Database drivers available: SQLite(sqlite3), MySQL(pymysql), PostgreSQL(
>>> pg8000), IMAP(imaplib)
>>> starting single-scheduler for "swim_smarter"...
>>> ERROR:web2py.scheduler.groomlake2#3208:    error popping tasks
>>> ERROR:web2py.scheduler.groomlake2#3208:Error retrieving status