That is strange behavior. I tried it also, and it gave the error you
experienced. Here are some observations from my experiments.

It's saying your title string is empty; yet if you look in the DOM via
Firebug, "title" is being set correctly, just as shows up in the title bare
of the browser.

You can properly obtain the pages title straightforwardly via
"self.browser.title"

It doesn't matter whether <title> is hard-coded or generated by
{{=response.title}}

Selenium will correctly find and return other tags when using the
"self.browser.get_element_by_name" method.

The same error occurs using Selenium 2.15 (as in the example) or 2.33, as
would be installed via easy_install.

It doesn't seem to be a Web2Py related issue.

Hope this helps.

Danny