Thanks for that useful information, Anthony.

I ended up creating a hidden variable in the form and setting the value of
the variable when the button is clicked, i.e.,
FORM(
   INPUT(_type='submit', _value='button1',
_onclick='document.form1.hiddenvar='button1';),
   INPUT(_type='submit', _value='button2',
_onclick='document.form1.hiddenvar='button2';),
   _name='form1',
  hidden=dict(hiddenvar='')
)

That works OK, but I'm not sure how you could generalize it for any
web2py.js form submission :).