You mention ajax but then discuss time to load a whole page. Are there
multiple ajax requests coming from the page? If so, does each ajax request
require the session (locking of the session file will force the ajax
requests to be handled serially instead of in parallel)? If not, you can do
session.forget(response) early in the ajax request to unlock the session
file and allow the next ajax request to start processing.

Anthony