According to the FDB documentation, an insert or update has to pass
parameters using an file-like object, like this:

cur.execute("insert into blob_test values (?)", (StringIO('abcdef'),))

It appears that currently the DAL passes the parameter as a very long
string, and Firebird has a 64k limit on the size of the parameters.