I think you're right.  The SQL testing was done earlier with less data in
the tables.  I think at that time my Table A and B had the 1:1 relationship
I planned for.  Somewhere in the intervening data, the relationship changed
and Postgres slapped me upside the head for doing something wrong.  I'm
using all the columns now and although it's painfully slow it works.  The
painfulness can likely be reduced by choosing the right indexes for my
tables.

Thanks for your help Niphlod.  You are Massimo are constant sources of
great information.

-- Joe