almost

If you specify a password in the command line

./web2py -a [password]

([password] can be <recycle> the previous password) NO GUI

If you do not specify a password

./web2py.py

then you should get the GUI. In this latter case if web2py cannot find
Tk or Tk is broken, then no gui and it prompts for the password.