Actually, it is also set in the web2py_bootstrap.css line 105, which is
interesting, but not nearly as interesting as the comment in the css file!
;)

/* because web2py handles this via js */
textarea { width:90%}

soooooo, who knows the javascript well enough to say what is happening
here, and how we can regain overrideablility (lol that word is getting
worse by the post)