Hello web2py community!

I used to be able to use the following web2py slice successfully in the
past (about a year ago):
http://www.web2pyslices.com/slice/show/1387/upload-image-and-make-a-thumbnail

Now it's not working with the latest build of web2py.  Is anyone able to
successfully get this slice working with the latest web2py build?

The code is successfully creating the thumbnail and storing it in the
uploads folder.  I can physically see it on the file system.  But I get a
ticket whenever I try to access the thumbnail through the DB admin or
through the URL bar:
<type 'exceptions.TypeError'> Can't retrieve
uploads.thumb.16e0d9fd-bc66-4b36-9c75-03aaea1d8603.PNG

I don't think there is anything wrong with what I am doing.  I think the
problem resides in the slice and web2py breaking backward compatibility...
 Please provide guidance, thanks!