It all depends on how you run web2py. If you run it with web2py.py thank
you can pass a command line option to enable cron and then you need a
applications/app/cron/crontab file. if you run web2py with apache or other
server via fcgi or wsgi, than you should use the scheduler instead. This is
described in some detail in the book.