In my situation, I'm offering two completely different services to my two
types of users: one is getting budgeting software and the other is getting
advertising options. So in my case, I have decided that it makes sense to
have two separate applications placed under two separate URLs. However, I
haven't gotten around to implementing it yet.

If your two types of users have some overlap in functionality, this might
not be the best approach for you. You may want to consider adding an
attribute similar to "registration_requires_approval" that is dependent on
the auth_group, and then use the built in auth_group mechanism to
differentiate between the two types of users. Since I'm not an expert in
web2py yet, I'm not sure the best way to go about doing this or if it is
even the best approach, but I hope it helps.