> I'm trying to display a feed on my page that needs to update about every
10 seconds without
> refreshing the entire page. I get the feed to display but not as it
should.

I think you are trying to pause execution in a controller, which is not the
way of refreshing the client document. web2py has a timing feature for this:

1) define the action that feeds the page component (in production you
should have a <controller>/feed.load view file to render the content

def feed():
    whatever = ...
    return whatever

2) in your page's layout add this:

{{=LOAD(<controller>, "feed.load", ajax=True, timeout=10000,
times="infinity")}}

It will load the output from the feed action and update the page content

http://www.web2py.com/books/default/chapter/29/12/components-and-plugins#Components