-1 on the patch.

I don't really get it. Why do you (and all of us) need yet another
attribute (too many already) of the Field when we have widget= for it ?
Is it really that hard to do

def my_string_widget(field, value):
    return INPUT(_name=field.name, _id="%s_%s" % (field._tablename,
field.name),
    _class="whatever",
    _value=value,
    _required=""
    requires=field.requires)

Field('comment', 'string', widget=my_string_widget)

that enables you to do all sorts of crazy things with your own widget ?!