BTW, AFAICT (As Far As I Can Tell :P), the abspath was only meant to have
easier code in admin. Docstring says
"convert relative path to absolute path based (by default) on
applications_parent"

application*s*_parent is the folder where the *applications/* folder is
(where web2py.py usually is), so if you go for abspath route, you'll have
always to include the app name in your import.
I just think that you "misinterpreted" what application*s*_parent is: it's
not application_parent (meaning the parent of your application,
root/applications/appname), it's the whole application*s folders *parent,
so the grand-grand-father ^_^