I'm a newbie to web2py, but the book examples have gotten me a long ways,
and the forum (GG) has helped, also.

I have set up a pretty simple SOAP service, and have turned on Basic AUTH.
 I get the correct results when the client provides the correct header, so
all that's good.  But I'd like to return HTTP 401 (Unauthorized) instead of
HTTP 303 (See Other) if the header is missing or incorrect.  What's the
best way to do this?  Should I give up the "auth.requires_login" decorator
on my call() controller and use the procedural technique of calling
auth.basic() in the body (sec 9.25, pg 452 of the 5th ed).  Or should I use
the catch303 technique of this earlier post?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/web2py/zC6UKTM0qRY/_dE1vnkmYsMJ>

Footnote:  On the remote machines, I'm using 2 different clients:  SUDS
from Python, and a simple Java client based on java.xml.soap
(SOAPConnectionFactory).  In the latter, the 303 error gets turned into an
ugly exception about Invalid Content-Type ([...].saaj.SOAPExceptionImpl.
 Is this the exception I should be catching to gracefully report the
mess-up?  And can I expect a 401 to raise the same exception?

/dps