Hi,

I've done (I think) something similar to what you are trying to achieve.
The way we've done it is as follows:
1. Have a separate thread with a python script that pulls the values from
your USB instrument (in my case it was a serial port, don't know how to
deal with a USB port) into a redis queue. Something like
# usb_data_pull_function
import redis
import json
r =redis.Redis(host='127.0.0.1')
while True:
    data = [get USB value]
    r.rpush('datalist',json.dumps(data))
    if json.loads(r.get('stopAcquisition')):
        break

You start this thread with a web2py function or when the computer starts -
up to you - with
from threading import Thread

dataPuller=Thread(target=usb_data_pull_function)
dataPuller.start()

Then in web2py have a function that when called returns the redis data
extracted from the redis queue
And finaly have an ajax function on the view that calls this web2py
function at a given interval and displays the values returned the way you
want.
I hope this helps.
Andre