Sorry for the slow response. I'm experiencing this with 2.6.3 but have also
had the problem with the last couple of versions. It has been the kind of
thing that I keep putting off debugging because I'm not sure where to start.

Could it have to do with the way I'm extending the auth_user table? In my
db.py I have

auth = Auth(db, hmac_key=Auth.get_or_create_key())  # authent/authorization

#adding custom field for user time zone
auth.settings.extra_fields['auth_user'] = [
    Field('time_zone',
          'string',
          default='America/Toronto',
          requires=IS_IN_SET((common_timezones)),
          widget=SQLFORM.widgets.options.widget
          )
]

Although I'm able to use the data from that field without any trouble.

Ian