I looked at record versioning, but, if I use something like:
db.mytable._before_update
then when the _before_update function is called, no changes have been made
to the database yet.
So to get the old value of the field, it seems like I need to read the
current database row that is about to be updated, (unless web2py has this
data cached somewhere already). Then I can compare the old field value to
the value about to be written to see if it is changing.