Thank you Dave S for testing my code.
I reproduced the issue in my enviroment: windows8 and opera 12.16. Then I
searched for a solution and the issue is gone away by applying the posted
code. In summary I have only added to original function:

contentType: 'application/json',
cache: false,

I had to clear the whole browser cache selecting settings | Delete Private
Data,,, from the menu in Opera in order to obtain a succesful result.