Just to note, Bootstrap is included in the welcome app, not web2py itself.
The welcome app is a great starting point and I guess 99% of the web2py
users base their applications on it's code. It gives a nice headstart when
developing web apps. But web2py itself can also be used with any other CSS
framework or even without one, as you prefer.

Anyway, I think leaning towards web2py is the right choice. Since you're
familiar with python, you'll feel right at home. I'd suggest studying the
welcome app briefly and skimming over the web2py book, then making a small
app for yourself while going over the web2py book in more detail. You'll
quickly see if web2py is the right tool for you.

Regards